Fire Department - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the hours for the Fire Department office?
A: The Administrative Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. We are closed during the lunch hour from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. If you have an emergency, call 911.

Q: What are the operating hours and locations of the BRUSH PITS?
A: The Blattner Pit is located on Hwy. 260 at M.P. 259.7. It is open on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Pine Pit is located seven tenths of a mile in on the Control Rd off of Hwy. 87, South of Pine. This pit is open on Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For any other information on the free brush pits, call 928-978-8765.

Q: How can I get my smoke detectors checked?
A: Call the Fire Department at 928-472-5120 to schedule an appointment. We'd be happy to come to your home and check your smoke detectors. You can also check your smoke detectors by pressing the button on the front until it activates. If it doesn't activate, your battery should be replaced. Smoke detectors have a limited life span; if your smoke detector is more than ten years old it should probably be replaced.

Q: Can I get my car seat checked? How long does this take?
A: Call 928-472-5120 to make an appointment. It usually takes approximately one hour.  We have a certified Safety Seat Inspector at 400 W. Main St.

Q: What is a Guardian Angel Unit and how do I get one?
A: What the Fire Department calls the Guardian Angel Unit is a small heart shaped pendant that a person wares around the neck. It can be worn even in the shower. A unit is hooked up to phone line. If you fall or need help, you can press the button on your pendant and it dials the preprogrammed phone number in it. That person can be anyone who can come to your house and help you. If you need medical help, they can call 911 for the Fire Department to respond. You can get one installed by calling the Police Department at 928-472-5065.

Q: Why do firefighters have to go to in a fire engine to the grocery store?
A: Firefighters live and work as a team.  They may be called upon at any moment to respond to emergencies and need to stay together.  They take the fire engine because it is their toolbox; it carries all the tools they may need to mitigate many different kinds of emergencies.  Firefighters may be at the grocery store to buy healthy food to eat at the station, to mitigate an incident, or to do a preplan of the building before an emergency happens. Each fire engine requires a minimum of three firefighters to respond to an incident.  So that means if the fire engine is called to an emergency and all three firefighters are not together, another fire engine must be called upon to assist, tying up the second engine if it becomes needed elsewhere.

Q: Does the fire department buy the food for firefighters to eat?
A: No. Firefighters are just like most workers in the private sector, if they want to eat they must provide their own food.  The only time the fire department buys food for firefighters is when they are working a long duration incident and the firefighters are unable to buy or prepare their own while on scene.

Q: What services are provided?
A: The Fire Department provides fire and emergency medical services by career and reserve firefighters and state certified EMT’s and paramedics. The District has a full complement of fire, medical, and rescue equipment. The District also provides fire inspection and public education programs.

Q: How would I go about scheduling a station tour?
A: The Payson Fire Fire Department offers tours of each of our three fire stations.  To schedule a tour click on the following link: EVENT REQUEST FORM. Complete the request form and mail or bring it in Station 11 on Main Street.

Q: May I schedule a ride-along with a fire crew?
A: You must be at least 18 years of age. You may ride with the fire crew between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. and only once per year. Contact the Administration Office at 928-472-5120

For more Frequently Asked questions - Click here to go to page 2